Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Life On The Road



I hit the road yesterday.

It was an unplanned last minute solo road trip to Tulsa. I didn't even really expect this, but each mile I drove down the freeway, I could feel new life seeping into my lungs. With Oklahoma City in the rearview mirror, I recalled how much I enjoy traveling and experiencing new things. The point wasn't Tulsa. The point wasn't even to "get away". I think it was more just breaking the usual routine of my life and reminding myself there's a bigger world out there to enjoy. Life happens outside of my weekly schedule. As I drove in the mad heat singing along to Mat Kearney's new tunes on the radio, I was giddy and child-like. I felt free.

Pulling into Tulsa, I decided to head downtown to Topeca Coffee first (www.topecacoffee.com). I had never been here before, but a barista from Coffee Slingers had competed there a few months prior so I figured it would be a good stop. The environment was inviting and the employees were all amiable. I found out they own their own coffee farm in El Salvador and practice the "seed to cup" philosophy. I savored a vanilla latte and read for a couple hours, then headed over to a local organic cafe called Elote Cafe. Unfortunately they were closed, so I grabbed a bite to eat down on 15th Street at Full Moon Cafe. Hopefully next time I make it up there I can eat at Elote... I guess things downtown in Tulsa close pretty early, cause I was going to try to head to Double Shot Coffee before I left town as well, but found out it closes around 5pm.

After my late lunch, I wasn't quite sure what to do with myself. Wasn't sure if I should head down to the Philbrook Museum of Art or head to a movie. I picked Star Trek. :) Star Trek was actually a fun watch and was glad I got to see it (finally). As I finished up the movie, I grabbed a quick coffee at Nordaggio's, snapped a couple photos of the massive praying hands on the ORU campus (I mean massive), and jumped on the 44W heading home.

A few post road trip thoughts:

1) Although I was only gone for 8 or 9 hours (including driving time), I realized I need to do those more often. It's funny how something that doesn't take that much time can be so refreshing and life-giving.
2) As I "explored" Tulsa, I realized I've almost completely stopped doing that in Oklahoma City because I've found "my spots". I need to remember that there is much to still be explored in the place I live. I spent a few minutes talking to one of the baristas at Topeca about good local spots. I should continue to do so in Oklahoma City. There is more discovery around the corner.
3) What are the things that fill your heart with hope and life and joy? Find ways of doing them, even if it is for short periods of time. You'll have much more to offer others in the process of feeling refueled.

No comments:

Post a Comment