Monday, January 10, 2011

Learning From The Wise Men

The wise men are some of the key figures of Epiphany. Not only did Jesus, the light of the world, reveal himself to Jewish shepherds but also to foreign "wise men". Some think they were seers or priests from Persia or modern day Iran, but obviously we don't know with certainty. What we do know is that they traveled great lengths following a star in the sky, convinced they were en route to meeting the king of the Jews, and the star led them to Israel. Not only that but we find out the gifts they brought to Jesus:

  • Gold
  • Frankincense
  • Myrrh
Some have said that each gift represents a different aspect of Jesus: gold for Jesus' royalty, frankincense for Jesus' priesthood, and myrrh for Jesus' sacrificial death. Others say that the gifts represent the best of culture. When I come to Jesus, do I come as the wise men do? Grateful that He's a sovereign king and I don't need to worry? Grateful that he's my perfect high priest interceding on my behalf? Grateful that He's my perfect sacrifice and I'm not trying to work my way back to him?

Would we all learn from the wise men to see Jesus as much greater and lovely! No gift is great enough for Him, he deserves the best we have.

No comments:

Post a Comment